Spend a day away from Vienna to discover the picturesque Wachau Valley in the Austrian countryside on this small-group, fully guided tour. Satisfy your cravings with a delicious lunch at a traditional Heurige (wine tavern). With your expert guide, visit stunning villages and historical sites, including a rustic wine cave with a 450-year old wine press and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed medieval town of Dürnstein made famous by Richard the Lionheart. Then, you'll see the the Wachau Valley from another perspective on a 90-minute scenic Danube river cruise between the historic villages of Spitz and Melk.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Free snacks included
Leaving Vienna behind you, travel in a comfortable vehicle to the country’s best winemaking region, the Wachau Valley for a fully guided day tour. Renowned for its quality wines, stunning villages and breathtaking scenery, it is the perfect place to enjoy a day away from the city. You’ll see the whole of the Wachau Valley while learning about its fascinating culture and history and sampling local wine as well as some other delicacies like the valley’s famed apricot jams and liqueurs.
Besides the highlights, you’ll break away from the crowds to also see the more authentic and off-the-beaten-track landscapes. And go even farther afield to visit a rustic wine cave with a 450-year-old wine press set high in the steep slopes of the vineyards, an exclusive visit which is not open to the general public. Nearby, you also have the chance to visit the valley's oldest church, dating back to the year 987.
Arrive in the UNESCO-listed Dürnstein – a picturesque medieval town famous for being where Richard the Lionheart was held captive in 1192. There, enjoy some free time to explore the streets and the castle ruins. Afterwards you'll go for lunch in a traditional family-run Austrian wine tavern (not included).
Then, sit back and enjoy the spectacular scenery while driving deep into the valley. On a relaxing 70-minute scenic Danube river cruise from Spitz to Melk, you’ll take in the Wachau Valley from yet another perspective—the middle of the majestic River Danube. Before returning back to Vienna, you'll see Melk Abbey (Stift Melk), a world-famous Benedictine abbey founded in 1089. Located above the town of Melk on a rocky outcrop, this impressive monastic site boasts stunning views of the Danube river down below.
Small-Group Day Tour to the Wachau Valley: Melk Abbey
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Central Vienna
Return Details:Returns to original departure point at approximately 5pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Small-Group Wine-Tasting Tour to the Wachau Valley from Vienna
- Transport in luxury 8-seater vehicle
- Full-day accompaniment by expert driver/guide
- Wine and liquor tasting
- Chocolate, jam and chutney tasting
- 70-minute Danube river cruise (27 April to 29 September only)
- Lunch and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Danube river cruise operates between 27 April and 29 September only. In the winter months lunch will be included as a replacement
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.