Select a datex
Discover Australia's Aboriginal culture and explore the rugged beauty of the Lower Cape on this 2-day Cooktown small-group tour from Cairns or Port Douglas. You'll drive through the World Heritage Listed Daintree National Park and the famous Bloomfield Track by 4WD, take a journey with the traditional Aboriginal story-teller of the Nugal-warra clan and see his ancestral ancient rock art. The tour includes overnight accommodation in Cooktown, Australia's first non-indigenous settlement.
- Multi-Day Trip
- Small group ensures personal service
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Day 1 - Cairns, Northern Beaches and Port Douglas to Cooktown
You'll be picked up by air-conditioned 4WD to travel north along the Captain Cook Highway, one of Australia's most scenic coastal drives. After crossing the mighty Daintree River by cable ferry, journey through the spectacular Daintree National park, which contains the highest number of rare or threatened plant and animal species in the world. Along the way, your experienced guide will enlighten you with stories and history as you continue on the 4WD-only Bloomfield Track through some of the most incredible scenery in Australia. Stop for lunch at the famous Lion's Den Hotel (established in 1875), one of North Queensland's oldest bush pubs. Continue to the unique geological oddity of Black Mountain, surrounded in mystery and ancient Aboriginal legend. Arriving in Cooktown, have your camera ready for 360-degree panoramic views from Grassy Hill of Cooktown and the Endeavour River.
Overnight Accommodation: Choice of motel or resort
Day 2 - Cooktown to Cairns, Northern Beaches and Port Douglas
This morning you will be collected from your accommodation by Willie Gordon,a Nugal-warra Elder. Willie will take you to his ancestral rock art sites, set in stunning countryside high in the hills above Hope Vale, 40 minutes from Cooktown.You'll travel by road through dramatic landscapes to six rock art sites, including an Ancestral Birth Cave and the Reconciliation Cave. Willie will give you an amazing insight into Aboriginal society and spirituality and will have you thinking about your own relationship with the land and how the lores of his people can apply to us all. Available from April to November only.
Or, you can choose to have a free day to explore Cooktown before returning to Port Douglas or Cairns in the late afternoon. On your return journey, travel via the Mulligan Highway through a diverse landscape of cattle stations and the Palmer Goldfields region, the Outback of Far North Queensland.
2-Day Cooktown 4WD Small-Group Tour from Cairns or Port Douglas
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from centrally located Cairns, Northern Beaches and Port Douglas hotels including residential addresses
- Cairns 7:00am
- Northern Beaches 7:30am
- Port Douglas 8:30am
Return Details:Returns to Cairns at approximately 9:30pm, Northern Beaches at 9:00pm and Port Douglas at 8:30pm on Day 2
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
! night accommodation in a 4-star deluxe resort with en-suite including Rock Art Tour available from April to November only
1 night accommodation in a motel style room with en-suite.
! night accommodation in a 4-star deluxe resort with en-suite
2-Day Cooktown 4WD Small-Group Tour
- Travel by air-conditioned 4WD
- Local guide
- Morning tea and lunch (day 1 only)
- One-night accommodation in Cooktown
- Aboriginal rock at tour guided by Willie, the traditional story-teller of the Nugal-warra clan (April to November)
- Cable Ferry ride across Daintree River
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Optional - Entry to James Cook Museum AUD$10
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Infants are not recommended
- Tour size - Maximum 17 people
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Child rate applies to children sharing existing bedding
- No more than 3 people per room
- Tour is subject to weather and road conditions, alternative routes will be taken.
- No refund will be given if the itinerary is altered due to weather conditions
- Closed covered shoes must be worn on this tour
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.