Best of the Bay Supercruise: Original Cream Trip
On board your jet-powered, multi-level catamaran with an underwater camera and both indoor and outdoor seating, cruise through the Bay of Islands — named for its nearly 150 islands — heading toward Cape Brett, the far eastern tip in the bay. Admire great views from the boat's spacious decks while you listen to the crew share information about the region’s history and ecology. Keep your eyes open for marine life like seals, dolphins, whales, penguins and sea birds.
Your cruise isn’t just for sightseeing, though — it’s a Cream Trip, a tradition that dates back to the early 1900s when a boat was used to transport cream and other supplies between the islands and the mainland. This means you’ll get up-close views of sandy beaches and island homes as you stop to deliver mail and other supplies to local residents.
When you reach Cape Brett, check out its noted landmark, a natural arch known as Hole in the Rock. Then your captain will let you know if the weather and water conditions allow for swimming with dolphins (optional; own expense). If you’re interested, you can use a provided wetsuit and snorkeling gear to swim around with these friendly sea mammals.
About halfway through the day, stop on Urupukapuka Island for 1.5 hours of free time to take a scenic walk, go for a swim or relax on the beach. You can buy lunch on board the boat; a full bar, tea, coffee and snacks are also available for purchase (own expense).
Your cruise ends with return to Russell and Paihia.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9:40am from Russell Wharf
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Best of the Bay Supercruise - Original Cream Trip
- Luxury air-conditioned catamaran
- Live commentary on board
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks (lunch, drinks and limited snacks are available to purchase on board)
- Swimming with dolphins (optional; weather permitting; NZ$15 per person, payable at the time; includes use of wetsuit, snorkeling gear and hot shower on board)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Vehicles are collapsible-wheelchair accessible, however the driver is unable to assist passengers boarding and disembarking due to insurance regulations
- Departures and itineraries may be subject to sea and weather conditions
- It is recommended that you bring a jacket (it can get cool on the boat), hat and sunglasses; if you plan to swim, bring a swimsuit and towel
Reviewed by: john g, April 2015
it was one of the best tour that we did
Reviewed by: M C, April 2015
Even though it rained part of the trip, we had a Marvel experience, we saw so many dolphins. The Skipper, Tammy, was brilliant as was the rest of the crew. We had a wonderful time and thoroughly recommend the trip.