Take a break from Rome's big-city bustle to discover the fascinating history of Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius on this full-day guided tour from Rome. Perfect if your time in Italy is limited, this is the only day tour from Rome that visits both Pompeii and Vesuvius on the same day. Numbers are limited to a maximum of 25 people when exploring Pompeii and Vesuvius, ensuring you'll receive personalized attention from your knowledgeable guide.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
After your transfer from Rome by air-conditioned coach, your tour into Rome's ancient history begins high above the city and Bay of Naples, on the crater of Mt. Vesuvius. Europe's only active volcano, Vesuvius is infamous for causing the destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79AD and has erupted many times since – today it's regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world.
Lava flows have scarred the sides of Mt. Vesuvius, and are visible on the winding road up to the summit. Hiking the active volcano is the only way to truly experience the magic of Mt. Vesuvius. The 20-minute upward hike to the crater takes you through soft volcanic ash and pumice, and the views from the top are worth the effort! Alternatively, you can stay on the ridge of the volcano and admire the views. After your adventurous morning, it's time to take a break and enjoy a leisurely lunch (included). Relax as you experience the world-famous pizza Naples is so well known for.
Next stop is Pompeii, sitting in the ominous shadow of Vesuvius. During your personalized tour of Pompeii's remarkably well preserved ruins, you'll discover why this UNESCO World Heritage Site continues to shock and fascinate over 2.6 million people who venture here each year.
The now ruined city of Pompeii was once a sprawling metropolis of shops and residences, restaurants, gyms and brothels. You can walk Pompeii’s main streets just as the ancient Romans did – the stones are still worn with tracks from the drawn carriages that used them nearly 2,000 years ago. You'll also visit the forum, the center of Pompeii’s political and social life, and view the startling plaster death casts of the victims of the catastrophic eruption that destroyed the city of Pompeii.
Traveling between November and December? Mount Vesuvius is inaccessible, so you will visit the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii instead.
Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Center of Piazza del Popolo
- 7:30am (arrive strictly at 7:15am)
Return Details:Returns to original departure point at approximately 7:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
- Entrance fees and visit (1.5 hours) to Vesuvius (March- October)
- Entrance fees and visit (1.5 hours) to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii (November - December)
- Entrance fees and guided tour of Pompeii (2 hours)
- Expert local guide
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- The optional hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness to complete. The hike is uphill at a 14 degree angle and 20 minutes long (about 1 mile)
- Temperatures on the Volcano may be a bit lower than temperatures on the ground, a sweater or light jacket is recommended, especially outside of the summer months.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- On rare occasions the crater of Vesuvius may close due to adverse weather conditions. In this case you will be offered an extended tour inside Pompeii, a visit to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii, or the volcano Solfatara located in the Phlaegrean Fields near Vesuvius.
Itinerary:November - December
Mt. Vesuvius, is inaccessible in winter (November to December) so the visit will be substituted with the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii, which houses in impressive collection of original artefacts, mosaics, statues and artwork taken out of Pompeii during excavations, making it a perfect complement for your visit to the Pompeii excavation site! A thorough introduction to the museum and detailed map will be provided.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.