Blue Mountain Small-Group Day Hikes from Sydney
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small-group tour
These two hiking tours are perfect for the nature-lover who wants to get off the beaten track and discover the beauty of the Blue Mountains. Group sizes are kept to a maximum of 16 people and are led by an experienced and qualified local guide. You won’t feel rushed or lagging behind, but able to walk at a comfortable pace, with different options to suit all fitness levels. Best of all, you won’t simply view the great outdoors from the window of a bus, but the way it’s meant to be experienced – on foot! All tours include a gourmet picnic lunch.
These small-group hikes showcase the best of the bush-walking and hiking tracks in the Blue Mountains and are provided by an award-winning company that is committed to environmental sustainability and practices.
Please see the Itinerary section below for hiking tour options.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Ruined Castle Tour returns at approximately 4:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Valley of the Waterfalls
Grade: Medium hike with some steep steps to walk down/up, requiring average fitness levels.This is a 4-6-mile (7-10-kilometer) walk, includes hotel pickup/drop off, experienced local guide & lunch
USD $172.36Pricing details
Ruined Castle & Scenic Railway
Grade: Hard hike with some hilly sections requiring good level of fitness.This is an 8-mile (13-kilometer) walk, includes hotel pickup/drop off, experienced local guide & lunch
USD $229.04Pricing details
- Morning tea
- Local guide
- Transport by private vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 10 years and children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- Closed-toe supportive footwear such as trainers or hiking boots is essential
- Minimum numbers apply; there is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements; in the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Valley of the Waterfalls
Discover a true hidden gem, filled with stunning cascading waterfalls, spectacular scenery and rocky escarpments.
Grade: Medium hike with many steps up and down, suitable for those with average level of fitness. This is a 4- to 6-mile (7-to 10-kilometer) walk, approximately 3.5-hour hike.
Ruined Castle and Scenic Railway
Ride on the thrilling Scenic Rail, the world’s steepest incline rail. The 1361-foot (415-meter) descent will take you through a cliff-side tunnel down into an ancient rainforest. Hike across the Jamieson Valley and climb the Ruined Castle, a large outcrop of rocky boulders that jut out above the surrounding bush, for amazing 360-degree views of the area.
Grade: Hard hike requiring a good level of fitness. This is an 8-mile (13-kilometer) walk, approximately 6.5-hour hike.
Medium – designated walking trails with moderate inclines and more than 100 steps up/down
Hard – walking trails that veer off designated paths which entail crossing of rougher terrains, steep inclines and climbing over rock/boulder formations
What to bring:
• Small backpack to carry personal items
• Sunscreen and a hat
• Water bottle (at least 1.5 liters)
• Swimsuit and towel if visiting waterfalls
What to wear:
• Comfortable clothes that will maintain body temperature; jeans are not recommended
• Enclosed walking shoes or boots
Reviewed by: Ayre J, March 2015
I know the price is a bit high for this tour. But it totally worth it.
Reviewed by: emilyschindler, March 2015
The Ruined Castle and Scenic Railway tour makes an excellent day hike. Most of the walking is on an easy trail with one 500 m rougher section and most of it is in the forest which provides lots of shade on a hot day. The forest is rich in bird life and varied vegetation, but beware of leeches. Our guide, Noel, was informative and personable, and helped make the walk much more memorable than if we had done it on our own. We also appreciated the hotel pick-up and drop-off in Sydney.