New York Gospel Music Tour
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Get inside tips from a local
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
On your walking tour, enjoy the iconic brownstone homes and stroll along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for an unbeatable view of the Manhattan skyline on the Hudson River. Along the way, your guide delves into the evolution of the genre, from its origins in American slavery to its influences on today’s Billboard charts. Pass by Plymouth Church, where the a cappella group known as the Jubilee Singers captivated New Yorkers, and put gospel music on the map. Keep your ears perked to learn about other important figures including Charles A. Tindley (aka the “Father of Gospel Music) and Thomas A. Dorsey, and how this inspirational music influenced a wide range of jazz, rock and blues musicians such as Elvis Presley and the Beatles.
After your walking tour of Brooklyn Heights, you'll arrive at the Brooklyn Tabernacle in the heart of downtown for a church service. What began with a handful of members in a small, run-down building is today a nondenominational congregation of nearly 10,000 people. It's perhaps best known for its Grammy Award–winning choir, which has catapulted the gospel genre into the hearts of people around the world. See for yourself as sermons get a boost from either the Brooklyn Tabernacle's own choir or from visiting gospel groups. You might find it hard to resist letting out a “hallelujah!” as the unified choir sings uplifting songs and hymns.
When the service is over, you are free to explore Brooklyn at your leisure with a provided map that notes subway stations and dining suggestions.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9am for Spanish and French tours only
17 Smith Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Gospel music tour of Brooklyn concluding at the Brooklyn Tabernacle
Listen to the amazing voices of a Gospel choir
- 2-hour walking tour
- 2-hour church service
- Licensed tour guide
- Map of Brooklyn with suggestions
- Subway ticket (USD$2.75 for single ride ticket)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Return transportation to Manhattan
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Purchasing a single ride subway ticket prior to the tour is recommended
- Due to the popularity and policies of this church, guests who wish to sit in main sanctuary where the choir is performing are asked to stay for the entire service (from 12pm to 2pm) to avoid disruption. Guests who wish to leave before the end of the service will have to stay in the overflow room and watch the performance via closed circuit screen. Your respect is greatly appreciated
Reviewed by: Jane D, February 2014
Fantastic experience. Alicia, our tour guide, was lovely. Very friendly and full of lots of interesting information. In spite of the temperature (about minus 9!) we had a great trip. The highlight, of course, was the gospel service. Very uplifting. Thank you.
Reviewed by: Jana E, July 2014
What a wonderful way to see a piece of Brooklyn in additional to finding out the history of how Gospel began. Be prepared for a great deal of walking in hot or cold weather. Wear a hat and sunglasses plus your sunscreen or umbrella and jacket. We ended up at the Brooklyn Tabernacle for a rousing, spirit- moving church service with the B. Tabernacle Choir. Really enjoyed this tour.