Best Nara Afternoon Tour of Todaiji Temple, Deer Park and Kasuga Shrine from Kyoto
Venture to Nara from Kyoto for the afternoon. Due to its past as the first permanent capital of Japan, Nara remains full of historic treasures, including some of Japan's oldest Buddhist temples. Accompanied by your local guide, you'll visit the Todaiji Temple to see Japan's largest Buddha, Deer Park - home to hundreds of freely roaming deer, and Kasuga Shrine - Nara's most celebrated shrine.
- Instant Confirmation
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
Japan's first permanent capital was established in the year 710 at Heijo, the city now known as Nara. As the influence and political ambitions of the city's powerful Buddhist monasteries grew to become a serious threat to the government, the capital was moved to Nagaoka in 784.
Nara is located in the Kinai plain, less than one hour from Kyoto. Due to its past as the first permanent capital, it remains full of historic treasures, including some of Japan's oldest Buddhist temples.
Visit the Todaiji Temple, constructed in the 8th century, is one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples. In it's huge precincts are various national treasures of Japan. The Daibutsuden (Great Buddha Hall) is one of the world's largest wooden buildings. One of Japan's best-known temples, it enshrines a gigantic bronze statue of Buddha. A wonder of religious architecture.
See over 1,000 tame deer roam freely in the verdant 1,250 acres peaceful park. If you wish to feed the deer, they will gladly eat from your hand. Special deer food is available for sale in the park grounds.
Tour concludes with a visit to Kasuga Shrine, the most famous and beautiful Shinto shrine in Nara, it features some 3,000 antique stone and bronze lanterns.
Travel by return coach to Kyoto.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Selected Kyoto hotels
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Nara Afternoon Tour of Todaiji Temple, Deer Park and Kasuga Shrine from Kyoto
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Local tax
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Entrance to Treasures Hall
- Entrance to Manyo Botanical Gardens at Kasuga Shrine
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 7 days of travel. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own carer
- Some parts of road on this tour are gravel and steep inclines
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
- Pick up service from Kyoto Hotel Okura is not available during the Gion Festival (July 17) or the Jidai Festival (October
22) due to traffic restrictions
- At Kasuga Taisha Shrine, the tour does not include entrance to areas requiring admission
- During the Gion Festival (July 14-16), drop off service to Karasuma Kyoto Hotel and Hotel Monterey Kyoto is
unavailable due to traffic regulations
- The tour may not visit Nara Nagomikan if it is closed or due to traffic conditions
- Please note, hotel pickup is available from selected hotels in Kyoto. If you cannot find your hotel on the list, please choose the nearest offered hotel or meet directly at the meeting point
Reviewed by: Nancy G, July 2015
Easy way to see the Nara highlights while saving yourself the hassle or to'ing and fro'ing on your own from Kyoto. Our guide was lovely and the Todaiji Temple was truly impressive!
Reviewed by: richard k, July 2015
The tourguide was excellent she truly wished to make the tour of great value to each of the tourists.