Heli Hiking Franz Josef
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Scenic helicopter flight
- All necessary equipment included
You'll land high up on the glacier between two icefalls where your guided hike begins. Follow your professional guide into the most spectacular icefall terrain, only usually seen by experienced mountaineers. With a spotless safety record, rigid assessments, and the use of exclusive quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is always accounted for.
Afterwards, you'll re-embark the helicopter for a transfer back to the township of Franz Josef.
The fleet consists predominately of European AS355 Twin Engine Squirrels (seats 06 passengers plus pilot). They are ideal aircraft for scenic flights, with an open plan cabin making for excellent views for all passengers. The Helicopter Line has the highest levels of Civil Aviation Authority certification for scenic helicopter operations, this involves regular monitoring and audit of all aspects of the operations.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9:30am, 12pm, 2:30pm
Winer - May - September:
All flight times are approximate and subject to change due to weather conditions and weight restrictions.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Heli Hiking Franz Josef
- Helicopter tour
- Professional guide
- 2-hour hike amongst glacial ice formations
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, talonz, socks, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- Gratuity (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Minimum age is 10 years
- It is recommended that warm clothing and suitable footwear be worn on this tour due to cold temperatures. Moderate fitness is required
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Warm upper body clothing (preferably 3-4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one)
Reviewed by: Judith C, October 2014
The heli-hike was a wonderful experience, the highlight of our trip. It was professionally organised and our guide was very knowledgable. We had a beautiful day on fresh snow. A real treat.
Reviewed by: Kristin C, September 2014
This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to New Zealand. The helicopter ride was awesome! Your first ride is about 10-15 minutes with some great photo opportunities and the ride back is a bit shorter. In our helicopter, there was room for six guests in addition to the pilot -- two seats up front next to the pilot and four seats in the back of the helicopter. We had two guides on our tour (one was a student on workstudy) and both were wonderful. They were very knowledgeable about the glacier and the history of Franz Joseph. We were able to go hike near the waterfall and climb through some ice tunnels which made for amazing photos.
The tour company provides wool socks, boots, and a waterproof jacket and pants. The jacket can go over your own coat but most in our party just opted to leave on two light layers (a t-shirt) and fleece under the provided jacket. You get quite hot while hiking so I'd recommend leaving your winter jacket in the shed. You are responsible for your own gloves and should probably bring along waterproof ones. I'd also recommend sunglasses and sunscreen -- I wish I brought along sunglasses as it took awhile for my eyes to adjust to the sun reflecting off the ice.