Small-Group Cultural Walking Tour of Mylapore Neighborhood in Chennai
- Breakfast included
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Fully narrated tour
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Led by a local guide
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
Stroll through hidden lanes and hear stories from your knowledgeable guide about this ancient area, which predates the city by more than 2,000 years. Widely considered the point from where the rest of the city grew, it has kept alive many traditions and arts that Chennai is well-known for.
Enter Kapaleeshwar Temple to watch Brahmin priests, the interpreters of Hindu texts, as they go about their duties in the 400-year-old temple. Hear historical accounts of Hindu gods and learn why the locals walk clockwise around the temple.
Continue through Mylapore's streets and gain a deeper understanding of local lifestyle. Visit the home of a temple priest and hear about why people decorate their doorsteps with colorful kolams (paintings), as well as why women wear bindis on their foreheads.
Next, enjoy a fun rickshaw ride through the streets! Head to beautiful San Thome Cathedral, where you’ll learn how Christianity was brought to India by apostle Doubting Thomas, whose tomb you can see here.
Cap off your morning with a dosa (rice and lentil pancake) breakfast at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, and end your tour back at the starting location.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Kapaleeshwarar Temple in Chennai
- Walking tour
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- Rickshaw ride
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour operates with a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 15
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund. If you prefer to take the tour as scheduled with less than the minimum number of passengers, an additional fee of approx. USD $4 per person will be incurred at the time of the tour.
- Please note that some of the places we visit may require you to remove your footwear; it is recommended that you wear easily manageable shoes
Reviewed by: Sam T, August 2015
Great tour guide, very friendly and knowledgeable highly recommended.
Reviewed by: Raquel Q, August 2015
I highly recommend this neighborhood walking tour with Divya, a terrific host, kind and enthusiastic that introduces you to India from the back door. I'm not tours fan, I always prefer do it by myself but Chennai is a bit chaotic and I hadn't too much time. This tour is not about history or architecture, this is about people, rituals, believes and traditions that doesn't appear in your guide, the true heart of India. I enjoyed a wonderful time that it finished with a delicious traditional South Indian breakfast in the Hotel Saravana Bhavan, a famous Chennai's vegetarian chain, now extended over the world, where I wanted to go anyway, just perfect.