Select a datex
On this day trip from Franz Josef experience New Zealand's stunning nature of the Franz Josef Glacier. This relaxing, interpretive walk to the glacier is the perfect opportunity to learn the role of the Franz Josef Glacier in shaping this remarkable landscape. With the emphasis more on geographical information and the glaciers history, venture beyond the public barriers and right up to the dramatic terminal face of this advancing glacier with your experienced guide.
Take a day trip from Franz Josef to experience New Zealand's stunning nature and picturesque views of the Franz Josef Glacier.
Once fitted out with all your equipment, take a short bus ride to the outskirts of the glacier. Your guide will take you on a Glacier Valley Walk that will take you up alongside the mighty Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat in this remarkable landscape.
You will learn about the glacier's history, see what is left behind by this majestic giant, and learn the legend of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere. Near the terminal face, you will cross over the public barriers and after a brief climb you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the rapidly changing terminal face of the glacier.
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Franz Josef Glacier Guides Base
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 10am and returns at 1pm
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 2:15pm and returns at 5:15pm
Franz Josef Glacier
- Small-group tour
- 3-hour guided glacier tour
- Professional guide
- All equipment
- Mountains to the Sea DVD
- Souvenir Information Booklet
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 6 years
- The glacier walks are quite challenging as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in all weather conditions
You must present a paper voucher for this tour. We will email a link to access and print your voucher at the Lead Travelers email address. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.