On this full-day alpine excursion, escape Zurich and spend a glorious day in the Lake Lucerne area, exploring Mount Rigi, known as the ‘Queen of the Mountains,’ and the picturesque lakeside town of Lucerne. This tour is mostly made up of free time and self-guided activities – your guide will be with you from Zurich to Weggis, at the foot of the mountain, and then you’re free to explore the mountain and Lucerne at your leisure. Ride an aerial cable car and a cog-wheel train; take in stunning views over the Swiss Alps; enjoy a boat ride on Lake Lucerne – it’s a full day of gorgeous scenery and mountain delights.
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
Your full-day tour from Zurich to Mount Rigi and Lake Lucerne starts with a panoramic drive over Albis Pass and then takes you to Weggis, a charming summer resort town on the shore of Lake Lucerne. Your guide will turn you loose in Weggis, where the self-guided part of your day trip begins. Take the aerial cable car for an approximate 15-minute ride up the mountain, offering you stunning views over Lake Lucerne.
You’ll reach a middle station at an elevation of nearly 4,000 feet (1,200 meters), where you’ll change to the cog-wheel train (the first in Europe) that will take you on another 10- to 15-minute ride almost to the summit of the mountain.
Your itinerary on Mount Rigi is flexible – you can spend one to 2.5 hours exploring at your own pace, using the itinerary sheets and timetables your guide will give you. There are beautiful walking and hiking trails, spectacular panoramic views over the Swiss Alps, restaurants where you can relax and have a bite to eat, and more.
You’ll then take a cog-wheel train down the mountain to the lakeside village of Vitznau, where you’ll board a paddle-steamer for the approximate 45-minute boat ride to Lucerne. In Lucerne, you’ll have free time to explore; walk along the lake, visit the Old Town and admire the Chapel Bridge. Your guide will meet you at the end of the day in Lucerne and escort you by coach back to Zurich.
Boat ride on Lake Lucerne
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Silquai Bus Terminal.Hotel pickup is only available from the following Zurich hotels:
- Moevenpick Regensdorf
- Moevenpick Airport
- Renaissance Glattbrugg
- Ramada Hotel Zurich City
- Crowne Plaza Zurich City
- Hotel Ibis, Adliswil
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Return Details:Returns to original departure point (Sihlquai Bus Terminal) at approximately 7pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Mount Rigi Tour
- Aerial cable car
- Cog-wheel train
- Boat ride from Vitznau to Lucerne
- Coach from Zurich to Weggis and from Lucerne to Zurich
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel drop off
- Meals and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The Swiss Alps, including Mount Rigi, can fall victim to bad weather, even in the summer. At times, closure of mountain transportation at short notice is required. Should this happen before your tour departs, you can claim a full refund, redeem your voucher for the same tour on an alternative day, or choose another tour of similar price and duration. Should this happen after your tour departs, you will either be re-routed to an alternative mountain or offered a Lucerne city tour and appropriate compensation
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.