House of Music (Haus der Musik) is a modern, interactive museum dedicated to sound and music, and located in Vienna's first district. Spread out over several floors, visitors are invited to playfully make new discoveries and music, and to actively participate in the museum's exhibits.
The House of Music was awarded the Austrian Museum Prize for its innovative design and is located in the former Palais of Archduke Charles. At one time the Palais was the residence of Otto Nicolai (1810 - 1849), who composed the opera "The Merry Wives of Windsor" and founded the Vienna Philharmonic concerts here. A total of 5000 square meters has been set aside exclusively for areas dedicated to a wide array of approaches to music, and most of all, the experience of music.
Mozarthaus Vienna is a new center devoted to the life and works of Mozart including the historical apartment.
Domgasse 5 is the only one of Mozart's apartments that still exists today. The composer lived in Mozarthaus Vienna from 1784 to 1787 in grand style, with four large rooms, two small ones and a kitchen. The life and works of this musical genius are presented here on four exhibition levels. In addition to Mozart's apartment, which has been adapted by Wien Museum, visitors can find out about the times in which Mozart lived and his most important works. The exhibition focuses on his years in Vienna, which marked a high point in his creativity.
Both museums do not have to be visited on the same day as the ticket is valid for one entry to each museum within one year.
House of Music (Haus der Musik)
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Haus der Musik is located in the former Palais Archduke Charles, in the center of Vienna between St. Stephen's Cathedral and the State Opera.
Mozarthaus Vienna is located at 5 Domgasse in the center of Vienna, approximately 8 minutes on foot from St. Stephen's Cathedral.
- Haus der Musik is open from 10:00am to 10:00pm
Mozarthaus Vienna is open from 10:00am to 7:00pm
Return Details:Tour concludes after your visit to the House of Music
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
House of Music (Haus der Musik)
- Entrance fees to the House of Music and Mozarthaus Vienna
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Cloakroom fee (approximately Euro 0,80)
- Confirmation for this product will be received at time of booking
Itinerary:Spread out over several floors, visitors can feel, see and listen to music - a truly unique experience that you won't want to miss. HAUS DER MUSIK (House of Music) is an interactive discovery museum located in the heart of Vienna's first district nestled between St. Stephen's Cathedral and the Vienna State Opera. A host of interactive installations playfully communicate openness to new things, understanding and enthusiasm in approaching music.
- Conduct the Vienna Philharmonic from a virtual conductor's podium, and the musicians on the screen will tell you if you are up to par.
- Journey back in time to see the great composers of the past, such as Mozart, Strauss, Beethoven and others.
- Experience the highlights from the Vienna Philharmonic's world-famous New Year's Concert in the best sound and picture quality anytime of the year.
- HAUS DER MUSIK offers a great deal of opportunity for hands-on learning. With the new Waltz Dice Game, you can compose your own waltz as easy as pie. Come and experiment on computers, play gigantic instruments or even one-of-a-kind instruments of the future that only exist at HAUS DER MUSIK.
- Sounds perceived by the unborn baby in his or her mother's womb
- Gigantic instruments to touch and play
- Conduct an orchestra yourself, all without previous experience
- Take a walk through the world of the Vienna Classical era, a journey into the future of research
- See installations that can be played using visitors' voices and hand movements, and a separate futuristic composition room
These are but a few of the installations that will not only pique your curiosity, but give you solid musical background information as well. HAUS DER MUSIK focuses on providing the public with the opportunity to touch, try out, to experiment and to experience music with all of their senses.
Thanks to its aesthetic and artistic presentation of musicology content and its architecture, which combines the historical together with futuristic design and high-tech, HAUS DER MUSIK links tradition and innovation. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart meets young people who can 'compose' their own CD; the Vienna Philharmonic encounters the orchestra visitors create themselves. Music is the world's oldest language, so come and experience it firsthand!
HAUS DER MUSIK also offers an additional exhibit area: the MUSEUM OF THE VIENNA PHILHARMONIC featuring the latest attractions the venue has to offer.
See the interactive Waltz Dice Game and the New Year's Concert Experience - the Waltz Dice Game gives everyone the chance to playfully compose his or her very own Viennese waltz and hear it played. The New Year's Concert Experience provides visitors with the unique opportunity to experience the highlights from the world-famous Vienna Philharmonic's New Year's Concert anytime during the year in a festive atmosphere and in the best sound and picture quality. Several performances take place daily.
At one time the former Palais of Archduke Charles, and today's HAUS DER MUSIK, was the residence of Otto Nicolai (1810 - 1849), who composed the opera 'The Merry Wives of Windsor' and founded the Vienna Philharmonic concerts here. This connection provided the impetus for the Vienna Philharmonic, with its Historical Archive, to leave the Musikverein and make HAUS DER MUSIK its new home. Here, the scientific documentation of this world famous orchestra continues and is made available to the public. Located on the 'Beletage' first floor, are the only historically preserved rooms in the house, and the Vienna Philharmonic present original documents from their history.
HAUS DER MUSIK offers still more!
- The violin maker Anna Hohenegger lets you watch her at work in her own workshop (Annagasse entrance).
- With a view over the rooftops of Vienna and the St. Stephen's Cathedral, the museum's Café has become a favorite meeting place. The air-conditioned inner courtyard forms the centerpiece of the house where groups of young visitors romp and true connoisseurs come to relax.
- A plethora of events round out HAUS DER MUSIK's program, making the museum a focal point for cultural and, in particular, musical life in Vienna.
After it opened its doors to the public, Maestro Zubin Mehta assumed HAUS DER MUSIK's honorary chairmanship. What inspired him to do so was the cheerful and direct presentation of the musical material that brings people with a wide range of music tastes together - gets them talking, grabs their interest and counteracts any preconceived notions associated with encountering music from an intellectual and musicological point of view.
How does it feel to beat a drum three meters in diameter, what do 'notes' sung by vocal acrobat singers look like? What does Marvin Minksy have to say about the structure of the Brain Opera in comparison to the human brain? How does the Shepard Scale continue on, seemingly for eternity? How does it feel to be applauded by the Vienna Philharmonic or to play the world's largest electronic percussion instrument, the Rhythm Tree? These questions and more will only whet your appetite, so experiment and discover more about music. And this is exactly what HAUS DER MUSIK is all about!
Café and Restaurant
Combining the musical with the culinary arts, and sounds with a view of Vienna; those who make music meet those who are interested in music; musical thoughts are woven in a musical and tasteful atmosphere spread out over two levels.
While visitors are echoing their impressions of HAUS DER MUSIK on the first floor, Vienna's musicians are engaging in musical discussions on the second level.
The vitality of music hanging in the air, a cup of coffee and a newspaper, is an harmonious combination to be enjoyed in the Cantino café - located in the inner courtyard.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.