After cruising into Juneau, embark on a once-in-a-lifetime Alaskan wilderness adventure on this small-group day trip to the Pack Creek Brown Bear Viewing Area, a protected wildlife location with the highest concentration of brown bears in the world! Your guide picks you up at the Juneau cruise terminal and takes you on a scenic floatplane ride to Windfall Island, passing over Alaska’s Inside Passage and Tongass National Forest. Then, kayak to the mouth of Pack Creek on Admiralty Island and witness brown bears in their natural habitat – truly an unforgettable experience!
The Pack Creek Brown Bear Viewing Area requires a permit to visit, and for the first time since 1997, the National Forest Service has awarded these exclusive and limited visitation permits to tour operators. Book this tour to make sure you don’t miss out on the amazing chance to enter the viewing area.
- All necessary equipment included
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Fully narrated tour
- Led by a local guide
- Small group ensures personal service
- Likely to Sell Out
- Free snacks included
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Seasonal Offer
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
Make the most of your cruise stop in Juneau and head to Admiralty Island to visit the Pack Creek Brown Bear Viewing Area, known as the ‘Fortress of the Bears’ by the indigenous Tlingit people. This protected habitat has the largest brown bear population in the world (four times as many brown bears as Yellowstone National Park!).
Just as exciting as the bears themselves is the route you’ll take to get to them. Your guide will pick you up from the cruise port in Juneau and drive you to your floatplane for a scenic 25-minute flight over the scenic Tongass National Forest and the Inside Passage to Windfall Island. Next, board a kayak and paddle through Windfall Harbor with your small group to Admiralty Island, observing the beautiful scenery (and possibly bears) along that way!
When you get there, your guide takes you to the best spot to view the bears – climb to the lookout towers and see brown bears romping in the meadows, or head to the secret alcoves and observe the bears catching salmon and swimming in the creeks, rivers and streams!
Due to the limited number of permits, this exclusive opportunity will sell out quickly!
- 30 minutes - Van ride from Downtown Juneau to floatplane
- 25 minutes - Floatplane flight from Juneau
- 1.5 hours - Kayak orientation and kayak adventure
- 3 hours - Brown bear viewing
- 30 minutes - Kayak back to the floatplane
- 25 minutes - Floatplane flight back to Juneau
- 30 minutes - Transport back to Downtown Juneau
We will ensure your timely return to the Juneau port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-ofcall. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Bear Viewing in Pack Creek
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Juneau cruise terminal
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Certified guide
- All necessary equipment
- Round-trip transportation via van and floatplane
- Rain gear, jackets and rubber boots provided - please advise supplier of sizing
- Snacks (bagels, water, granola and more) and bottled water
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- All passenger weights MUST be advised at time of booking
- Maximum weight per person is 250 pounds (113 kilograms)
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 10 people per booking (6 to 1, passenger to guide ratio)
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Operates in all weather conditions
- Cancellations due to weather: You will be issued a full refund in the event that one of our contracted local suppliers decides to cancel your tour or activity due to weather.
- Missed port or late ship arrival: You will be issued a full refund in the event that your ship does not make it to port in time for the start of your tour or activity. You will also be issued a full refund for tours and activities cancelled due to a ship’s inability to get into port.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.