Newport Mansions and Waterfront Sightseeing Tour from Boston
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Day trip (destination A to B)
After pickup from your Boston hotel, sit back and relax on the 1.5-hour drive south to Newport, Rhode Island. When you arrive, you'll see why this fabulous New England resort city is nicknamed the 'Sailing Capital of the World.'
Learn about the city's colonial heritage on your scenic drive along Ocean Drive (10-Mile Drive), affording views of historic mansions, beaches and secluded coves. This epic stretch of road is lined with jaw-dropping million-dollar mansions that were once the 19th-century houses of the New York elite, who fled the big city during the summer to Rhode Island. These mega-mansions played a role in transforming Newport’s coast from a quiet summer colony of quaint cottages to a legendary resort town brimming with opulent estates.
Your first stop is The Breakers, the former home of the Vanderbilt family and a US National Historic Landmark. As you'll learn on your walking tour, this is the grandest of Newport's summer 'cottages,' and was a symbol of the family's social and financial reputation at turn of the century.
Next, enjoy free time to stroll along Newport's beautifully restored waterfront. Spend time shopping and dining on your own, and enjoy views of the harbor dotted with glamorous private yachts, modern racing sailboats and Newport's fishing fleet and ships from around the world.
In the afternoon, you'll visit a second mansion, Marble House, another home of the Vanderbilt family and a US National Historic Landmark. Take a guided walking tour to fully appreciate the grandiose of this majestic piece of property; the interior of this Gilded Age mansion is a sight to be seen.
After your tour, enjoy more views of Newport's mansions and beaches from afar on your return journey along Ocean Drive back to Boston.
This tour is seasonal and only operates from June to October.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from Park Plaza in Boston or select Boston hotels
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
The Marble House
- Transport by luxury air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Admission and tour of The Breakers and Marble House
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Infant rates apply to those under the age of 3 who do not occupy a seat. If your child requires a seat, please purchase a child ticket.
Reviewed by: Billie G, January 2014
This trip is a must if you have time in the Boston area to do it. Newport is a beautiful coastal town with typical touristy businesses that do not disappoint. Our driver/guide, Dave, was very knowledgeable about every home on the coastal tour and historical happenings during the Guilded Age of history. We toured the Breakers and The Marble House. We had a 2 hour lunch stop and ate at The Black Pearl, a small restaurant with the best clam chowder and crab cakes! The peak fall foliage and warm temperatures make this tour fabulous! This would also be beautiful to see during the Christmas season.
Reviewed by: ksav, October 2013
absolutely wonderful, would highly recommend it, especially on a sunny day!