Gordon River Cruise from Strahan
Glide past ancient rainforests aboard the Gordon River Cruise from Strahan. With a choice of seating on this morning departure, your six-hour cruise on the Gordon River allows plenty of time to explore Strahan and surrounding area, the gateway to Tasmania's World Heritage Area.
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Choice of seating available
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Lunch included
Come aboard the fastest, smoothest, most comfortable cruise boat on Tasmania's West Coast, Lady Jane Franklin II, to journey deep into a land lost in time. Your cruise begins in the waterfront village of Strahan, heads towards the open sea at the spectacular Hell's Gate, then crosses Macquarie Harbour to the calm lower reaches of the mighty Gordon River. In the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, marvel at the riverside rainforest, perfectly reflected in the river's waters, then take a walk into the timeless green of the forest at Heritage Landing.
At Hell's Gate, you'll feel the power of the sea and understand why mariners gave the place its name.
On Sarah Island, hear an enthralling actor tell stories of the days when convicts labored to cut logs of Huon Pine, to craft the timber into sturdy ships. The cruise ends with an early afternoon return to Strahan, in plenty of time to discover more about the town and its surroundings. Browse through the Wild Rivers Store and the Thylacine and Endangered Species Center.
Your seating options include:
- Atrium Seating - All forward seating, spacious seating with a number of styles to choose from. Includes buffet lunch
- Window Recliner - All forward seating with full length windows for exceptional views. Includes buffet lunch
- Captain's Premier Upper Deck - Luxury seating and exclusive deck space plus your own dedicated nature guide/steward. Includes fine food, wine and local Tasmanian beer. Gourmet lunch will consist of smoked salmon, ocean trout, Tasmanian game meat and a selection of Tasmanian produce including local cheeses.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Gordon River Cruises terminal
2:45pm (selected dates December - March)
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Morning - Atrium Seating
All forward seating, spacious seating with a number of styles to choose from. Includes buffet lunch
Morning - Window Recliner
All forward seating with full length windows for exceptional views. Includes buffet lunch
Morning - Captain Upper Deck
Luxury seating and exclusive deck space plus your own dedicated nature guide/steward. Includes fine food, wine and all beverages
Gordon River Cruise from Strahan
- Sightseeing cruise
- Buffet lunch
- Live commentary on board
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infant are free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Tour is wheelchair accessible in the atrium seating area only. Motor scooters are not permitted due to size limitations
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Salmon Farm: Atlantic salmon are raised in inland hatcheries then transferred to floating pens like those in Macquarie Harbour, where they grow to market size. Commercial farming of Atlantic Salmon only began in Tasmania in the mid-1980s and is now worth more than $150 million a year. Tasmania grows the only farmed salmon in the world that does not require treatment to remove impurities.
Sarah Island: The convict settlement at Sarah Island was once Australia's most productive shipyard, turning out almost 100 vessels. The six hectare island, located in Macquarie Harbour, was a feared penal colony from 1822-33 and ruins of the settlement are still visible today. Convicts built boats from the highly prized native timber, Huon Pine. Almost 2000 prisoners, officials and military passed through the island before the settlement closed.
World Heritage Walk: Enter the eternal silence of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area on a rainforest walk at Heritage Landing, beside the ancient Gordon River. Stroll through some of the world's last remaining temperate rainforest, featuring myrtles, leatherwood trees and species of native pines found only in Tasmania. A raised timber walkway leads through the damp forest to a fallen giant - a 2000-year-old Huon Pine that has fallen to the ground but continues to support new life in the form of saplings.
About the Lady Jane Franklin: The Lady Jane Franklin is a fast, quiet, spacious and environmentally designed cruise ship for the Gordon River. The hull and engine design ensure minimal impact to the pristine wilderness, whilst the interior features create the best possible experience for passengers.
We've designed everything for your pleasure and comfort - there's a play area for children, interpretive facilities including maps, photographs and guidebooks and plenty of deck space to enjoy the freshest air in the world.
With allocated seating there's no need to queue. Relax and enjoy the comfort of our dockside terminal before your cruise. You are also able to move freely about the Lady Jane, take in some of the cleanest air in the world from the open decks and return to your seat any time.
Reviewed by: Karen R, October 2014
We upgraded our seats to the upper deck and it was well worth the additional $$, we really enjoyed the cruise,commentary, food and the relaxing atmosphere.
Reviewed by: Robyn A, September 2014
Great Cruise. Magnificent Scenery. Very Happy with VIATOR.