Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private Viewing and Small-Group Tour of the Vatican's Secret Rooms
Due to a new Vatican partnership, this tour provides VIP access through a reserved door, allowing you to skip all the lines – even the priority lines. End your tour with an after-hours private viewing of the Sistine Chapel, empty except for your group (average 15 people) and guide. Michelangelo's fresco in the Sistine Chapel – including The Creation of Adam – is considered the most influential fresco in the history of Western art. See it with no crowds, linger over every detail, and earn one-of-a-kind bragging rights for the rest of your life!
- All entrance fees included
- Editor's Pick
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Treat a loved one on a special occasion
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to the secret rooms varies and is based on availability, but most tours include the impressive Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante), which is actually a ramp on the corner of the Pope's Palace. You’ll also most likely visit the Room of Gold (Sala degli Ori), an opulent, rarely seen room that holds a dazzling collection of papal gold jewelry and precious Etruscan jewels.
The Niccoline Chapel (Cappella Niccolina) is another secret room most likely seen during your tour. Every bit as beautiful as the Sistine Chapel, this secret room is adorned with gold brought back from Christopher Columbus' travels, and frescoes by Fra Angelico, a Renaissance painter whose mesmerizing artwork pre-dates Michelangelo's.
In addition to the closed rooms, see many of the Vatican Museums’ classic attractions. As your expert guide entertains you with tales of Vatican art, power and treachery, admire Apollo Belvedere and other renowned monuments. Visit Raphael’s Rooms, the public part of the papal apartments in the Palace of the Vatican, and stroll through the Pinecone Courtyard.
Your tour ends on a high note with private access to the Sistine Chapel for your small group. After the doors close to the public, you'll have 30 minutes inside this incredible (and empty!) chapel. Speaking is typically forbidden, but during this private experience, your guide will explain Michelangelo's stunning ceiling fresco, which depicts scenes from Genesis, and his wall fresco, The Last Judgment.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
It sells out regularly so book now to save your space.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Viator VIP Access: Sistine Chapel Private Viewing and Small-Group Tour of the Vatican's Secret Rooms
- Entrance fees
- Skip-the-line entry
- Small-group tour
- After-hours access to the Sistine Chapel
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- No large bags/tripods/umbrellas/backpacks are permitted in the Vatican and must be checked in. Only very small purses are allowed. Please do not bring these items as you will need to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance
- Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to the secret rooms varies and is based on availability
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering the Vatican Museums. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that these items are not taken on this tour
· Sistine Chapel, home to artwork by Michelangelo including The Creation of Adam and The Last Judgment
· Apollo Belvedere statue
· Lacoon statue
· Raphael's Rooms
· Pinecone Courtyard
· Gallery of Maps
· Gallery of the Candelabra
· Gallery of the Tapestries
· Chiaramonti Museum
Secret Rooms of the Vatican Museums (subject to change):
· Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
· Room of Gold (Sala degli Ori)
· Niccoline Chapel (Cappella Niccolina)
Reviewed by: Christopher P, July 2014
This tour was the best of the four tours we took while we were in room. Our tour guide Tiffany seems to live and breath art history. We learned a great deal from this experience. Not only did she talk about the art, she set the stage of what what what happening in Rome socially, economically and politically at the time to really put things into context. She also knew the area very well and recommended some very nice restaurants in Rome. We highly recommend this tour....put in the request for Tiffany if possible.
Reviewed by: Rebecca K, July 2014
This tour was the best that I have ever taken in many years of travel. The guide loved her topic and enjoyed her work. We took this particular tour because friends complained of other tours where they stood like statues in the Sistine Chapel because it was so crowded.
Our small group literally had the entire chapel to ourselves for about thirty minutes. We were also shocked when the lights came on because the workers were preparing for the Pope. That doesn't normally happen because lights harm the paint.
Our guide walked from one end of the chapel to the other, pointing out and explaining the meaning of each panel.
We were so impressed by the local supplier guides that we are considering taking some art history courses at our local university.