Kaikoura Whale Watch Day Tour from Christchurch
Spend the day getting close to nature on a whale-watching day trip to Kaikoura, renowned for its variety of marine mammals. You'll enjoy a scenic drive through the rolling hill country of North Canterbury, go on a whale-watching boat tour from Kaikoura, visit a seal colony and complete the day with a wine tasting at a local vineyard.
- Instant Confirmation
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Free drinks included
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
On your whale-watching cruise from beautiful Kaikoura, where the mountains meet the sea, you might spot giant sperm whales, acrobatic dusky dolphins, seals and royal albatross.
After lunch at a local restaurant, you'll visit a seal colony to view fur seals at close quarters. On your return journey to Christchurch you'll stop at a North Canterbury vineyard where a wine tasting has been arranged for your pleasure.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from selected Christchurch hotels
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Returns to original departure point at approximately 6:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Tour excluding Lunch
Whale watch by boat, excludes lunch
Tour including Lunch
Whale watch by boat, includes lunch at a local restaurant
Whale Watch Cruise
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board
- Whale watching tour by boat
- Lunch (if option is selected)
- Fur seal colony viewing
- North Canterbury vineyard visit and wine tasting
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation, if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Please note, infants under 3 years of age may not join the cruises but may travel on the light aircraft tours
- Once the tour has commenced only the unused portion of the tour will be refunded should the boats not sail or the planes not fly.
- If due to whale sightings or weather conditions the boat offers a partial refund, this refund will be passed on to our customers.
- If whale watch is undertaken by light aircraft and no whales are seen, no refund applies.
Kaikoura Whale Watch Refund Policy:
A decision is made at 6:30am each day, based on local weather conditions, as to whether the tour will depart Christchurch or be canceled. If the tour is canceled, clients are notified by 7:15am and no cancellation fees are charged. If the tour travels to Kaikoura and the whale watch cruises are canceled, whale watch plane tours are offered as an alternative. If clients do not wish to fly, or the plane tours are also canceled, a cash refund of NZD 80.00 per adult is given. Refund is issued on the day of the tour by the tour operator in Christchurch.
- As the wineries close at 5pm daily and on selected public holidays, a stop may not be possible. On these occasions no refund is applicable.
Reviewed by: lesleyevans44, February 2014
this was my favourite trip.. it was all well organised and the guide was full of information which enhanced our experience .. nice lunch by the sea.. and got to see a whale .. excellent !!
Reviewed by: Birgit H, June 2013
Great tour, Great tour guide Karen! It was too windy to go out by boat so we were flying! Even though it was rough water we got to see the Sperm whale. Thank you for making it possible!