Seeking a white water rafting adventure? The Barron River, 20-minutes north of Cairns, offers spectacular scenery including the Barron Falls on this two-hour white water rafting tour from Cairns.
The spectacular Barron Falls, further upstream, are considered a sacred site. The famous Kuranda Railway and Skyrail Cableway also traverse sections of the gorge. The rapids are up to Grade 3.
This heart thumping ride spears through The Barron Gorge National Park and the World Heritage-listed Wet Tropics. In the calmer sections you will get to enjoy the ethereal beauty of the worlds oldest rainforest and waterfalls from a unique waterline perspective. During the day you will also discover why the Barron's rapids have names such as 'Rooster Tail', 'Cheese Churn' and 'Hells Gate'.
All you need to bring is lace-up shoes (that WILL get wet), swimming costume and towel (you will need to have your swimming costume already on when you are picked up), a spare change of clothes and don't forget the 15+ sunscreen. You will be provided with safety equipment, including life jacket, helmet and spray jacket, as well as light refreshments after the trip while viewing the day's photos.
Australian Whitewater Rafting Grading System.
Grades do vary when water levels vary. As a generalization grades tend to go higher as water levels increases because of the steep nature of river gradients in this country. These grades are referred to as the NORMAL grade. Below are the general characteristics of the six grades of whitewater.
The Barron Gorge is graded rapids up to 3.
RAPID GRADE (1) Rapids are small regular waves.
RAPID GRADE (2) Rapids with regular medium sized waves (less than 1 meter) RAPID GRADE (3) Rapids with reasonable size waves (1-2 meters) with a need to hold on at times.
Happy rafters on the Barron River north of Cairns
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from your accommodation
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs from Cairns hotels
Departs from Northern Beaches hotels. Includes Palm Cove, Holloways Beach, Yorkeys Knob, Trinity Beach, Kewarra Beach & Clifton Beach
Enjoy a half-day rafting the Barron River north of Cairns
- Professional river guide
- Transport by private vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- All rafting equipment (except shoes)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Photos and DVD's (available for purchase)
- Rafting shoes (available to hire)
- The listed price does not include a AUD $25.00 per person On-board levy. The levy is required by our local supplier and/or the local governing authority and is not within our control.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 7 days of travel. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Children aged 13-18 years require a Parents or Guardians counter signature on waiver form
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant women
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.