Independent Half-Day Trip to Mount Vernon and Old Town Alexandria from Washington DC
Enjoy 3 hours of free time to explore this 500-acre (200-hectare) estate on the banks of the Potomac River that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tour the beautifully restored formal rooms and bedchambers in Washington's mansion, and wander the grounds to admire the gardens; demonstration farm; and working blacksmith shop, distillery and gristmill. See artifacts, films and exhibits relating to Washington's life and legacy at the Donald W Reynolds Museum and Education Center, and pay your respects at Washington's tomb.
Afterward, drive through nearby Old Town Alexandria — Washington's adopted hometown — and make a photo stop at Christ Church, where he worshipped. Your tour also includes views of Fort Washington, the Crystal City neighborhood and the Pentagon. Return to Washington DC and conclude your 4-hour trip to Mount Vernon at Union Station.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from Gray Line Terminal at Union Station (bus level)
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- All admissions
- Local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If the wheelchair is collapsible (i.e. can fold up) and the passenger is able to walk onto the bus, the passenger can take this coach tour without making any special arrangements
- If the passenger is confined to the wheelchair, or it is not collapsible, the passenger or their agent will need to contact the tour operator two weeks prior to the departure of their tour to request a coach with a wheelchair lift. The contact details for the tour operator will be on your voucher once you have a confirmed booking
Reviewed by: sheridenise, July 2014
Mount Vernon is a must see destination. Truly s special place. Tony was a fantastic guide.
Reviewed by: James T, June 2014
Great job by our driver, very knowledgable. Everything was on time and smooth. Mt, Vernon is one of the must see places on a trip to DC.