Contrast the brutal austerity of Alcatraz with the sheer beauty of Muir Woods and Sausalito on this enthralling day trip from San Francisco. It's a whole day of contrasts: from catching the ferry to Alcatraz Island and driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, to walking through a forest of giant redwoods and relaxing in the picturesque village of Sausalito.
- Likely to Sell Out
- Recorded commentary by audio headphones
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All entrance fees included
Likely to Sell-out! Alcatraz regularly sells out weeks in advance. Book ahead of time to avoid disappointment.
This enthralling day trip takes you across the Golden Gate Bridge for a view of San Francisco from Vista Point, then through the coastal mountains to the Bay Area's popular Muir Woods. This national monument is the site of a virgin forest of California Coast redwood trees, among the oldest and tallest on earth. Take the opportunity to roam through an ancient forest of giant redwood trees on your 75-minute visit of Muir Woods.
Next, it's time to take a stroll along the waterfront of quaint Mediterranean-style Sausalito, considered the prettiest village in California. You'll have 30 to 45 minutes to browse, shop and take photos at your leisure in this picturesque artists' colony nestled on the northern shores of San Francisco Bay.
Your tour also includes the ferry ride to Alcatraz Island and an audio walking tour of the "Cell Block". This former federal penitentiary was known as "The Rock" and housed gangsters such as Al Capone (Scarface) and Machine Gun Kelly. You'll learn about the famous escape from Alcatraz, the prison's notorious inmates and much more on this tour.
Giant Redwoods, California
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from centrally located San Francisco hotels and airport hotels.
Please note, the following Fisherman's Wharf hotels are all within 2 blocks walking distance of the tour departure point. If you are staying at any of these hotels please make your own way to the Fisherman's Wharf departure point:
- Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf Express (550 Northpoint St)
- Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf (555 Northpoint St)
- Tuscan Inn (125 Northpoint St)
Please note: Additional departure times may be scheduled during busy periods. You must call 24 hours prior to tour date to reconfirm your departure time.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Tour across the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods and Sausalito
- Admission to Muir Woods
- Round-trip ferry from San Francisco to Alcatraz Island with admission (US$30 per adult, US$18.25 per child value)
- Audio walking tour of Alcatraz 'Cell Block'
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 30 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible. However, passengers in a wheelchair can be accommodated only if they can get on and off the bus on their own and if the wheelchair is collapsible. The driver is not permitted to assist handicapped persons due to insurance restrictions. Please note, there is a Tram providing transportation for handicapped persons on Alcatraz Island
- Buses are air-conditioned and the size of the bus depends on the number of passengers booked for that particular day. There are 48, 28, 39, 47 and 50 seat vehicles
- The tour schedule for the day depends on the availability for Alcatraz. For example, if Alcatraz is available in the morning, the tour commences at the pier to begin with the Alcatraz portion. If there is no availability for Alcatraz in the morning, upon arrival at Fisherman's Wharf you will commence with Muir Woods and Sausalito and then continue to the pier for Alcatraz in the afternoon, returning at leisure
- The Alcatraz portion usually takes approximately 2 hours to complete, with the audio tour consisting of approximately 45 minutes. You are advised to inquire on your arrival to the island as to what time the next guided tour will begin. There is no restriction on the amount of time you spend on the Island. The ferry boat service departs Alcatraz every 30 minutes and you can disembark at your own leisure
- The Muir Woods and Sausalito section consists of at least 4 hours in total
- There is a 1 hour and 15 minute stop at Muir Woods. Passengers may choose whether they wish to walk the trail or not. This short, self-guided walk takes approximately 30 minutes
- The stop in Sausalito is 30-45 minutes at leisure
Terms and Conditions:
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.